Steam Engine Demonstration. How is a kettle like a steam engine? Investigate how a steam engine works. Students will be able to observe the creation of power. Students will be encouraged to examine the special properties of water and how people have invented ways to use and control water to run machines to do work.
Matter and Energy, Grade 2 (Properties of Liquids and Solids)
Materials that exist as liquids and solids have specific properties.
Liquids and solids interact in different ways
Some liquids and solids can be harmful to us and the environment.
- assess ways in which the uses of liquids and solids can have an impact on society and the environment;
- investigate the properties of and interactions among liquids and solids;
- demonstrate an understanding of the properties of liquids and solid.
Matter and Energy, Grade 3 (Forces Causing Movement)
There are several types of forces that cause movement.
Forces cause objects to speed up, slow down, or change direction through direct contact or through direct contact or through interaction at a distance.
Forces in nature, such as high winds or water, can have a significant impact on humans and the environment, and need to be regarded with respect.
- access the impact of various forces on society and the environment;
- investigate devices that use forces to create controlled movement;
- demonstrate an understanding of how forces cause movement and changes in movement.
Matter and Energy, Grade 5 (Properties of and Changes in Matter)
There are three states of matter.
Matter that changes state is still the same matter.
Physical change refers to the fact that a substance can be changed from one form to another.
Chemical change implies the formation of a new substance.
The properties of materials determine their use and may have an effect on society and the environment.
- evaluate the social and environmental impacts of processes used to make everyday products;
- conduct investigations that explore the properties of matter and changes in matter;
- demonstrate an understanding of the properties of matter, changes of state, and physical and chemical change.