Students will be encouraged to investigate the source of groundwater, how it gets there and how it is extracted for our use. Find out how pollutants affect our groundwater and how pollution can be prevented
Earth and Space Systems, Grade 2 (Air and Water in the Environment)
Air and water are a major part of the environment.
Living things need air and water to survive.
Changes to air and water affect living things and the environment.
Our actions affect the quality of air and water, and its ability to sustain life.
- assess ways in which the actions of humans have an impact on the quality of air and water, and ways in which the quality of air and water has an impact on living things;
- investigate the characteristics of air and water and the visible/ invisible effects of and changes to air and/or water in the environment;
- demonstrate an understanding of the ways in which air and water are used by living things to help them meet their basic needs.
Earth and Space Systems, Grade 3 (Soil in the Environment)
Soil is made up of living and non-living things.
The composition, characteristics, and condition of soil determine its capacity to sustain life.
Soil is an essential source of life and nutrients for many living things.
Living things, including humans, interact with soils and can cause positive or negative changes.
- assess the impact of soils on society and the environment, and of society and the environment on soils;
- investigate the composition and characteristics of different soils;
- demonstrate an understanding of the composition of soils, the types of soils, and the relationship between soils and other living things.
Earth and Space Systems, Grade 4 (Rocks and Minerals)
Rocks and minerals have unique characteristics and properties that are a result of how they were formed.
The properties of rocks and minerals determine society’s possible uses for them.
Our use of rocks and minerals affects the environment.
- assess the social and environmental impacts of human uses of rocks and minerals;
- investigate, test, and compare the physical properties of rocks and minerals;
- demonstrate an understanding of the physical properties of rocks and minerals.